Friday, April 5, 2013

Strawberry, Arugula and Quinoa Salad

While we're big fans of quinoa, I haven't used it much in salads and more as a side dish. Now that I made this recipe, I can't wait to make different types of salad. This was amazing and going to be my go-to option for lunch for the next several months. I can't until local strawberries are available because it will be even more delicious. My husband who doesn't like fruit in his salad, actually enjoyed it and had seconds at lunch! Shocking...I will convert him eventually! :)

I've listed the recipe which I doubled below, since I wanted leftovers.



1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water
2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
6 oz reduced fat feta cheese
1 cup chopped arugula
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp red onion, minced
4 Tbsp honey

Cook quinoa according to package directions. Let cool before assembling salad.

In a small jar, combine the balsamic vinegar, salt, red onion and honey. Shake to combine well.

When ready to serve, add the cooled quinoa, strawberries and arugula. Stir to combine. Lightly dress with the balsamic-honey dressing and top with the desired amount of feta cheese. Dig in!

Source: Domestic Fits

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks good. My daughters are all over me to use quinoa. So I bought some. Now I have a recipe I can use it for. This really looks good.

We're having a party at Tumbleweed Contessa tomorrow morning with Hammock Tracks and Call Me PMC featuring strawberries. This would be wonderful for the fresh strawberries right now. www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog

Thanks for the idea,
Linda

Unknown said...

Thanks Linda! I love quinoa and it's so simple and easy to make.

I'll definitely link up tomorrow...thanks for letting me know!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I have been looking for better lunch options - I love quinoa and this sounds great. Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Food Frenzy!

Call Me PMc said...

I love fruit on salads! Thanks for sharing at Saturday Dishes. Pinned and now following! Paula

Unknown said...

Oh, this looks and sounds delish!! We LOVE quinoa and I love strawberries in salads! Can't wait to try this!

~Jen @ Yummy. Healthy. Easy.

Melissa said...

This looks like my kind of salad. Delicious!