Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cucumber Salad

What do you do when your kitchen counters are being overtaken with cucumbers? You make cucumber salad! This recipe is very quick and easy and is a creamy salad. Growing up, my mom would always buy cucumber salad from a local supermarket and I haven’t been able to find a recipe that was close to that – until now! This is so good and I can’t wait to let it sit in the fridge for a day to let all the flavors develop.

3 cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
½ cup onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp dried dill

In a medium bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt. Whisk briskly to combine. Add the mayonnaise and dill, stir until smooth. Add the cucumbers and onions to the dressing and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate. The salad will be ready in 10 minutes or let sit longer for the flavors to develop.

Recipe from Tasty Kitchen

5 comments:

shinodka said...

in Poland we have simmilar cucumber salad - mizeria. But I will try your recipe :) I'm curious the differences in taste :)

Andy Lahm said...

Just made this...but used fresh dill and added a thin sliced tomato. Oh my goodness!!! It's delish! Thanks for the recipe!

Brooksie said...

I just made this salad and it was so good even before I rfriderated it that I was worried none of it would actually make it into the fridge!

RubysShoes said...

my German mother in law makes this with sour cream instead of mayo. it is wonderful...a big bowl of summer <3

Anonymous said...

Our family has a similar version of this salad. We use equal parts water, sugar, and vinegar mixed and then heated for 3 minutes on the stove. Let that cool and then add mayo or Miracle Whip. Then add the cucumbers, onions, and sprinkle with celery seeds. It's excellent!