Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage Soup

I'm a big fan of stuffed cabbage, but not a big fan of making it. I know it's labor intensive and probably very easy, but being a working mom of a very active and energetic four year old, doesn't leave much time spend in the kitchen alone. During college, my roommate Jackie's mom would make us stuffed cabbage or golabkis and they were delicious!

This recipe is about as close as I'm going to get to making stuffed cabbage anytime in the near future. It was delicious and even better the next day!

1 lb lean ground beef
1 garlic cloved, minced
1 small head green cabbage, chopped
 2 1/2 cups water
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt

In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is not longer pink. Drain fat from the pot. Stir in the cabbage, water, rice, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, basil, cayenne and black peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender.

Stir in crushed tomatoes and salt. Heat through. Serve sprinkled with grate parmesan cheese if desired.

Source: Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Magazine

2 comments:

Kim said...

This is the best recipe for a diet!! It's full of healthy vitamins and is low in calories!! I substituted ground turkey for the beef and it tasted amazing!! My entire family LOVED it and has been asking me to make it again!! Thanks for the great recipe!

Unknown said...

I love stuffed cabbage, but dislike the work that goes into making it. This soup hit the spot!!
I pretty much made it as is, except for instead of using a head of cabbage, I used a whole bag of shredded coleslaw mix.....only because it's too hard for me to cut up a head of cabbage. It works great in a pinch!