Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cheesy Cauliflower Patties

I bought a HUGE head of cauliflower last week and after making half of it for dinner one night, I needed to figure out a different way to use up the rest of it. I was thinking of roasting it, but it's been a little hot and humid, so I didn't want to turn the oven on. Replacing potatoes with cauliflower is a great way to change things up and I thought I could take a recipe for potato cakes and do the same with cauliflower. It worked out great and everyone loved it - including my 15 month old son who's been quite picky these days. I'll definitely be making these again! They'd be great for breakfast too!


Small to medium head of cauliflower
2 eggs
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup panko
salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Steam the cauliflower until fork tender. Once steamed, place cauliflower on a plate and allow to cool. Transfer to a bowl and mash. Add in the eggs, cheese, panko and spices and stir to combine.

Scoop out 1/4 cup (more or less) of the cauliflower into your hand and form a patty. Place on a plate and continue making patties until all the cauliflower is used. Place the plate in the freezer for 10 minutes to allow the patties to firm up.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the patties into the pan and allow to brown on both sides. Place on a paper lined plate to remove any excess oil and serve!

No comments: