Monday, August 22, 2011

The Secret Recipe Club: Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake

It's that time again - The Secret Recipe Club!!! I'm having so much with the SRC and being able to try new things. This month, my assigned blog was Veggie Converter 365. Now this was going to be a challenge for me as we're big meat eaters in this family and Kristi's blog is all about her family's 2011 resoluation to eat vegetarian meals for an entire year. Seriously? I give Kristi HUGE props for being able to adjust her family's lifestyle to this.

So back to the food... I took the easy way out and decided to bake Lemon Ricotta Pound Cake. I'm a little scared of the meat subsitutes, maybe one day I'll conquer that fear!

This cake was AMAZING!!! I love the tangy the ricotta added to the cake and it was so moist and the perfect texture. I baked 2 loaves and took one to work. My coworkers loved it and gave me rave reviews about it. Kristi made a peach topping to go over her cake, but the peaches I bought weren't ripe yet, but it still tasted great!


3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
juice & zest of one lemon
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, ricotta cheese and eggs with a mixer. Blend in the vanilla, lemon juice, zest. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until well combined.

Divide the batter between the loaf pans and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until top browns and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool completely before slicing.

Want to be part of next month's Secret Recipe club? Click here to join!

14 comments:

Trisha said...

Heather, the flavors in the pound cake sound really good. Great pick for this months SRC!

Julie said...

Hi! Visiting from SRC. Lemon and pound cake are made for each other!

Unknown said...

The cheese must make the cake extra moist. Yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa~~ said...

Lemon and ricotta in a cake sounds wonderful. If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Kristi said...

Haha, I don't blame you for taking the "easy" way out...that cake was fantastic! Yours looks delicious!

The meat substitutes aren't too scary (and I won't mind if people change them back to meat)...mine are usually made with whole foods. They're normal things like lentils and brown rice & spices to make Ground Beef. Daunting when you first get into it, but not so scary once you try it. :)

Thanks so much for making an awesome version of this cake. I'm glad your co-workers enjoyed it, too!

Grace said...

This looks light and delicious! Ricotta always makes cakes moist and fluffy. Bet it would be spectacular with a blueberry or raspberry sauce too! Great choice!

Jeanie said...

I've got some ricotta begging to be used in my fridge. Thanks for the idea.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I bet the ricotta gave the cake the best texture! I'm excited to try this recipe!

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thanks again for being a part of SRC and being a part of my first group, I enjoyed being your host! Now, I get to visit everyone's blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!

If you haven't already, come check out my Secret Recipe Club Post: Cucumber Salad http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

or my second post for the SRC Raspberry and Nutella Pizza
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

Anonymous said...

Yummy!! What a great idea to add ricotta :-)

All the best,
Birthe

Desi said...

MMM I bet this pound cake is packing the flavor with that lemon and ricotta. Oh so creamy and moist! YUM! Stopping by from SRC :)

Chelle B said...

The flavors in this pound cake sound so delicious. Great SRC pick. Yummy!

Vivian Thiele said...

I love lemon anything... your pound cake looks very moist. Great pick for the SRC!

Amy said...

Looks great! SCR is turning out to be lots of fun -- so many new recipes to try!