Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Pineapple Zucchini Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Over the weekend, we stopped at my in-laws and picked up one of the largest zucchini's I've ever seen. I wish I would have taken a picture of it before using it for this cake and last week's muffins. It was the size of a baseball bat but as wide as a softball. Anyways...here's a yummy dessert that my coworkers got to enjoy yesterday. It's from the Tasty Kitchen's site.

Disclaimer: this is not a photo of the cake I made - I borrowed it from Pioneer Woman's site. I didn't get a chance to take a photo of my cake.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
nutmeg to taste (1/4 - 1/2 tsp) optional
3 Tbsp canola oil
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated (unpeeled) zucchini - drain well!
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, drain (reserve juice)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl and stir well with a whisk.

Combine oil, eggs, and vanilla, stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini and pineapple into the flour mixture. Batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will come together. If it seems too dry, just add a little splash of the reserved pineapple juice.

Spoon batter into a 13x9 sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 33-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

I used a can of cream cheese frosting, but here's a recipe for frosting from the original recipe. Next time I make this cake, I'm making the frosting.

2 Tbsp butter, softened
8 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar, approx.
2 tsp vanilla extract
splash of milk or pineapple juice, if necessary

Combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth. Add a splash of milk or pineapple juice if necessary. Spread frosting over top of cake and garnish with chopped pecans or walnuts if desired.

No comments: