Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Grilled Shrimp with Citrus and Quinoa


I bought a bag of organic quiona a couple weeks ago and have been looking for a recipe to use it. I've never had it before, but have heard great things about it and it's really good for you - high in protein. I was looking through the latest issue of Food Network Magazine and came across a recipe for Scallops with Citrus and Quinoa. Scallops were expensive so I figured I would substitute with grilled shrimp. I think the combination worked well, but didn't care for the quinoa alone. I have some more and am going to try to work it into other recipes.

3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed well
salt
3 oranges (I used 2/3 cup orange juice)
4 tangerines
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed (I used 1/2 tsp crushed coriander)
2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 lb shrimp
ground pepper
chopped fresh parsley, chives or scallions

Combine the quinoa, 2 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered until the water is absorbed, 12-14 minutes.

Meanwhile, grate 1 tsp orange zest then juice the 3 oranges and 4 tangerines into a bowl.

Sprinkle the sugar in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until dark amber, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vinegar, citrus juices and zest and the coriander. Return to medium heat and whisk in butter; keep warm.

Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Place on a greased heated grill/grill pan and cook until pink.

Fluff the quinoa with a fork and divide among 4 plates. Top with shrimp and sprinkle with the citrus sauce and sprinkle with desired herbs.

Adapted from Food Network Magazine, January/February 2010

No comments: