Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bean and Cheese Enchiladas


I've been meal planning for months and over the last month or so, I've decided to start adding one vegetarian meal per week to our menu. I have been successful but have been turning to the same recipes, so I needed to expand my options and found this recipe. It was really good and I modified it slightly from the original recipe. The next time I make it, I plan to replace the kidney beans with black beans.

1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (4 oz) diced green chile peppers, drained
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cups shredded monterey-jack cheese
1 can (19.5 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
8 fajita-sized whole wheat tortillas

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix beans, chile peppers, chili powder, salt and cumin. Microwave for 1 minute and slightly mash beans. Add corn and cheese and combine. Add 1 cup of the enchilada sauce to the bean mixture.

Spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce in a 13x9 baking dish. Brush one side of the tortilla with the enchilada sauce. Spoon 1/4 cup of the bean mixture into the center of the sauced side; roll up tortilla. Place rolled enchilada in a baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and bean mixture.
Pour remaining sauce over top to cover. Top with remaining cheese.

Bake for 15 minutes until warmed through and cheese is melted.

No comments: