Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apple Crostada


I have about 15 apples left from the 10 pounds we picked over the weekend and a leftover pie crust in the fridge and it was just calling me to make a crostada. I love the apple crostada's from Maggiano's and am looking forward to a work dinner I planned there in October. In the meantime, I thought I would attempt my own. Since I was trying to use up a leftover pie crust, I didn't make my own. I'm going to next time I make this and will update the recipe then.

1 1/2 pounds McIntosh, Macoun, or Empire apples (3 large)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Flour a rolling pin and roll the pastry into an 11-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer it to a baking sheet.

For the filling, peel, core, and cut the apples into slices or chunks. I used my Pampered Chef apple corer, peeler and slicer to make quick work of the apples. Cover the tart dough with the apple chunks leaving a 1 1/2-inch border.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pour into a bowl and rub it with your fingers until it starts holding together. Sprinkle evenly on the apples. Gently fold the border over the apples to enclose the dough, pleating it to make a circle.

Bake the crostata for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crust is golden and the apples are tender. Allow to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from Ida Garten, Barefoot Contessa

No comments: