Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pecan Granola

The last batch of granola that I made went over well. I wanted to try something a little different and found a recipe on Tasty Kitchen. I changed a couple things about it but kept the wet ingredients the same. I want to find a recipe that makes clusters of granola rather than a cereal type granola. I have a recipe from my mom that is going to the next granola I make.

6 cups rolled oats
2 cups pecans, chopped
1 cup blanched silvered almonds
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup dried fruit - I used cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet or 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix oats, nuts and flax seed together. Set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, mix the oil, honey, vanilla and salt. Mix with a fork or whisk and warm in the microwave for 30-60 seconds. Whisk the mixture together quickly to emulsify. Pour over the oat mixture immediately and combine well.

Spread the granola over the prepared baking sheet(s) and place in oven for 20 minutes. Stir and return to oven for 10 minutes. Watch over the granola to make sure it doesn't burn. Stir occasionally. Add the cranberries to the granola, stir to combine and place back into oven for an additional 5 minutes.

Cool granola completely and store in an air tight container.

Recipe adapted from Tasty Kitchen

No comments: