Sunday, September 19, 2010

Salmon Cakes

We love salmon and I found this recipe a couple years ago in Everyday with Rachel Ray Magazine. It's been awhile since my daughter has had salmon and she gobbled it up tonight for dinner. She even asked to have it for lunch tomorrow! I'd say that was a success and I need to add it to your weekly menus more often. I used sockeye salmon but regular salmon works great too!

1 1/2 pounds cooked salmon fillet, skinned and chilled
3 cups panko
6 scallions, white parts only
2 small celery ribs, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2/3 cup fat free mayo
salt
fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (I omitted to make my cakes kid friendly)
3 large eggs, beaten
6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

Flake the salmon ito a large bowl. Using a fork, mix in 1/2 cup of panko, scallions, celery, parsley, mayo, salt, pepper and cayenne. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Form the mixture until 8 patties about 1 inch thick. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 1/2 cups of panko with 1/2 tsp of salt. In another bowl, beat the 3 eggs. Coat the patties with panko, then eggs and panko one more time.

In a heavy skillet, heat half of the olive oil over medium heat. Add 4 salmon patties and cook until golden brown about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Cook remaining 4 patties and drain.

No comments: