Sunday, December 26, 2010

French Bread Rolls

So, I have never made anything that used yeast before, well...maybe back in middle school during home-economics. I vaguely remember making soft pretzels but I'm not sure how old I was...lets say it's been years.

I was very nervous that I wouldn't use hot enough water or my kitchen wouldn't be warm enough for the dough to rise. BUT I was wrong! It was so easy to make these and I can't wait to try more recipes. I feel an addiction coming on! LOL! I made these for Christmas dinner at my mom's. They are super soft rolls and tasted great!


1 1/2 cups warm water
3/4 Tbsp instant yeast (or 1 Tbsp active dry yeast*)
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
4 cups all-purpose flour

In a bowl of a stand mixer or in a large bowl by hand, combine the warm water,yeast, sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. *If you're using active dry yeast, let the yeast proof in the warm water and sugar for about 3-5 minutes until it is foamy and bubbly before adding the oil, salt and flour.*

Begin mixing and continue toadd the rest of the flour gradually until the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl. Judge the dough not by the amount of flour but in how it feels. The dough should be soft and smooth and still slightly tacky to the touch.

Knead the dough in the mixer or by hand until it is very smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes in the mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand. Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough in the bowl. Cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until is has doubled, about 1 hour.

Lightly punch down the dough and turn it onto a lightly greased countertop. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and form the dough into round balls. Place the rolls on a lightly greased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap. Do not pin the plastic wrap under the baking sheet or the rolls will flatten and not rise properly. Let the rolls rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degress. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.

Source: My Kitchen Cafe

No comments: