Sunday, December 12, 2010

Green Pumpkinseed and Cranberry Crispy Bars

This is one of those recipes that I have saved for years. I can't remember when I ripped it out of Cooking Light but I'm finally getting through the stack of recipes that are taking up room on my craft desk. I need to organize my recipes better and start working through all the recipes I have saved. I'm a little tired of cookies, I know that's surprising coming from me since I love sweets so much! And I'm sure my husband is tired of all my baking since he's my dishwasher :)


These are a twist on the traditional Rice Krispie treats. They'd be great for bake sales and part of holiday gift baskets. The cranberries add a little tartness and they are chewy. The pumpkin seeds add a little crunch and I definitely will be adding more in the next batch I make.

Cooking spray
1/2 cup raw green pumpkinseeds (also known as pepitas)
1/4 cup butter
8 oz package miniature marshmellows
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
5 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup dried cranberries

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pumpkin seeds, cook 4 minutes or until seeds begin to pop and lightly brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool.

Lightly coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in marshmellows, cook 2 minutes or until smooth stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Stir in seeds, cranberries and cereal. Scrape mixture into prepared dish using a rubber spatula.

Press cereal mixture evently into the prepared dish. Cool completely and then cut into 16 bars.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Yum! We made these once with dried blueberries and they were good too. :-)