Sunday, February 27, 2011

Beef Empanadas

This was my first time making beef empanadas or anything similar to this and it was a success...we'll at least for Ross and I. Madeline is not a big fan of beef, so needless to say I caved and made her something else for dinner. This was one battle I did not feel like dealing with the other night.

I used premade pie crusts which worked out great especially during the week when my time is limited to cook. This recipe uses the leftover beef from the beef roast I made earlier in the week.



2 cups leftover sliced beef, finely chopped
1 cup reduced fat shredded monterey jack cheese
4 oz can diced green chilies
4 oz can diced pimentos, drained
Two 9-inch refrigerated pie crusts

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. I baked on a seasoned stone, but if you do not have one, coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine the beef, cheese, chilies and pimentos. Set aside.

Unroll the pie crusts on a flat surface. Top one of the crusts evenly with the beef mixture, spreading it to 1/2 inch of the edge of the crust. Top with the second pie crust. Using a knife, cut the circle into 4 wedges. Pinch around the edges of each wedge to seal them shut. I had a hard time going this and just pushed the filling into the center to give me more room to seal the edges together.

Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheet and make a small slit in the top to let steam escape during baking. Bake until the crust is golden brown about 10 to 12 minutes.

Source: Quick Fix Meals by Robin Miller

1 comment:

Cooking Creation said...

My husband asked for these last week and I completely forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder. Yours look very tasty and I love the serving size!