Sunday, March 13, 2011

Honey-Lemon Muffins

I was in the mood to bake last week. Yes, I haven't had a chance to post anything new for a couple days, things have been busy around here. I also caught a virus on our home computer and it's out for repair, so luckily I brought my home my laptop from work, otherwise we would have been disconnected all weekend! I don't think we would have been handle to that.

So that's an update on us. These muffins are so full of lemon flavor! They are also pretty healthy especially if you don't add the drizzle to them. I couldn't resist. I was worried they might be a little dry, but they were the complete opposite. They're a dense muffin, but really moist.



1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel

Drizzle
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
additional grated lemon peel (I used dried lemon peel)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 10 paper liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the egg, honey, lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until just combined.

Fill the muffin cups one-half full with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a wire rack.

In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over warm muffins and sprinkle with the additional lemon zest.

Source: Taste of Home Healthy Cooking Magazine

No comments: