Sunday, June 5, 2011

Garlic Scape Pesto

Garlic scape? What is that???

Yup, that's the first thing I thought when I read that this was included in our first CSA share. I had never heard of garlic scapes and this is one of the reasons why I love that we're participating in a CSA.

So what is a garlic scape? As we know, garlic is part of the allium family, which grows underground. As the garilc bulb grows and gets harder, a shoot pokes through the ground. The shoot is green, kinda like a scallion, but it's longer, thin and pliable that it curls into tendrils. If it continues to grow, the scape will harder and transform into the white/beige color of garlic peel. If the shoot is still attached, it will stunt further growth of the garlic bulb. To continue growing the garlic, the scapes are removed.

I wasn't sure what to take with the big handful of scapes I had, but after a quick search online, I found a recipe for pesto. PERFECT! It was simple and easy to make and so versatile. I'm planning to spread it on crusty bread, adding it to fresh pasta and maybe tossing it into some scrambled eggs.

1 cup garlic scapes, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a food processor, combine the scapes, pine nuts and cheese. While blending, slowly add the oil into the mixture until smooth.


Source: Tasty Kitchen

No comments: