Monday, July 25, 2011

Peach Sour Cream Ice Cream

I love peaches! We're lucky to have an amazing orchard close to our house that supplies us with most of the fruit we eat year round. I bought a quart of peaches at the Farmers Market last week and I knew I wanted to make ice cream with them. My husband always tells me how much he loved eating Breyer's peach ice cream growing up.

I thought about making just a traditional vanilla bean ice cream, but wanted something different. Many of the recipes I came across were egg based and I was not in the mood to make my kitchen any hotter than already was with our heat wave. I sometimes wish we had central air, but then I think about the work it would be to install it in our 110 year house.

So back to the ice cream...we all loved the tangy the sour cream added and the peach flavor was so intense. I'll definitely be making this again!


1 lb peaches, skins removed and cubed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup skim milk
1 cup lowfat sour cream

In a small bowl, add the peaches and sprinkle with sugar. Stir to combine and refrigerate for at least an hour. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar.

In a blender, add the peach-sugar mixture and the remaining ingredients. Puree until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator. Add the chilled mixture to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Source: One Ordinary Day

1 comment:

Lisa~~ said...

So easy and I bet that the sour cream adds wonderful flavor.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook