Saturday, September 3, 2011

Chili Relleno Casserole

Every year I grow anaheim peppers in my garden and I never know what to make with them. I try to figure out something but somehow I never can come up with anything good...until now. This was the perfect recipe to utilize the peppers and highlight their flavor. My daughter even ate it after I picked out the peppers, they were a little too spicy for her. I definitely know what I'll be making when the next batch are ready to be picked!


3 - 5 Anaheim chilies
3 eggs
3 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp fat free sour cream
3 oz can sliced black olives, drained
2 cups low fatMexican blend cheese
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 lb lean ground beef
1 can green enchilada sauce

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Rinse chilies and place on prepared baking sheet. Broil chilies for about 5 minutes on each side until skin is blacked. Your oven rack should be moved to the highest position closest to the heating element.

Remove from oven and place peppers in a resealable bag. Close bag and let stand for 15 minutes. Remove chilies from bag. Skin and remove the veins and sees from the chilies and cut into thin strips.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium-sized bowl. combine eggs, flour, sour cream, olives, salt and pepper. Mix to combine thoroughly. Set aside.

In your baking dish (I used a 2 qt casserole dish), prepare by coating with a non-stick spray. Add a layer of chilies. Add half of the egg mixture, 3/4 cup of cheese, 1/2 of the black beans, 1/2 of the ground beef and repeat layers once more or until all ingredients are used.

Top with the enchilada sauce and the remaining cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

Source: Whisk and a Prayer

No comments: