Monday, September 19, 2011

Secret Recipe Club: Honey-Balsamic Chicken Thighs with Cranberry Wild Rice

It's that time again for The Secret Recipe Club! This is my fourth month participating and I'm having so much fun. Not only do I get to be sneaky and try out another blogger's recipe but I'm getting a ton of inspiration from the other SRC members!

This month I was assigned the blog, Not Rachael Ray. After looking through Rachael's blog, I settled on making cranberry wild rice. I usually sit to basics when I make sides, but this was very intriguing and different. I swapped out the walnuts for pecans and used a mix of long grain and wild rice. As I was planning my menu for the week, I had a pack of frozen chicken thighs and didn't know what to do with them...so off to see if Rachael had a recipe. Of course- honey-balsamic chicken thighs. I doubled the sauce mixture as I had 8 chicken thighs - gotta love leftovers for quick lunches!

So needless to say, this month is a SRC special treat - 2 recipes!




Honey-Balsamic Chicken Thighs
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 large garlic clove, minced
Peheat the oven to 375 degrees. With the skin sides up, place the chicken in a small roasing pan. Season with salt and pepper. Bake the thighs until the skin is crispy and the juices run clean, approximately 40-45 minutes.

While the chicken is roasting, combine the oil, honey, vinegar and garlic in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and stir occasionally until the sauce has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Allow to stand 5 minutes to cool slighly before basting each thigh with glaze.

Cranberry Wild Rice

1 box long grain & wild rice mix
water/butter/salt according to rice package
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup of chopped pecans

Prepare rice as directed on package except add in dried cranberries with the rice. I bought a box of Near East long grain & wild rice mix. It called to cook the rice for 25-30 minutes.

As the rice is cooking, toast the pecans in a dry frying pan over medium high heat. Be careful and watch them closely as nuts tend to burn quickly. Once cooked, remove them from the pan.
Serve a scoop of rice with the chicken thighs and garnish with the toasted pecans.

Want to be part of the SRC? Join up here!

16 comments:

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray said...

Yum! Looks like they both turned out well for you! Makes me want to make them both again! Great recipes for fall.

Kristen said...

I love easy weeknight meals like this! Sounds so good.

Lisa~~ said...

What a great sounding Autumn recipes, I'm saving these in my "to make" file. Great SRC choice.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Louisa [Living Lou] said...

Chicken thighs are my favourite and I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. Can't wait to give this a try!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Honey and balsamic make an absolutely irresistible combination. Great recipe selection.

I'm new to the SRC this month. I hope you'll stop by and pay me a visit.

:)
ButterYum

Jeanette said...

Love how super easy these two recipes are, perfect for an easy weekday night! Great pick for SRC.

Unknown said...

That looks very festive with the cranberries. I'd love to serve something like that in October - it just looks like it'd fit right in!

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

I'm always looking for great thigh recipes. Thanks!

Amy Anderson said...

Oh hell, now I know what's going on my menu next week! These look great!

I'd love it if you'd stop by my SRC post for Turkey Sloppy Joes!

Chelle B said...

Yummy!

Amy said...

Yum! Looks great -- I'm loving SRC, so many great new recipes to try! This looks like a perfect weeknight meal.

Julie said...

This looks so delicious. Such great fall flavors! I've made this chicken before and it is yummy!

Lynne Daley said...

Great fall meal! I haven't cooked wild rice in years. The cranberries and pecans really add to the fall flavors especially with the yummy looking chicken.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

Thank you for being a part of the SRC with me (group b). I am excited and looking forward to next month too!

Here is what I posted this month: Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/09/pioneer-womans-chicken-pot-pie-secret.html

Vivian Thiele said...

I love cranberries and this sounds like a perfect side dish. The chicken sounds great, too.

Amy Anderson said...

I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!