Monday, February 13, 2012

The Secret Recipe Club: Cranberry Oat Cake

After a month long hiatus, it's time again for The Secret Recipe Club again. This month I was assigned Miz Helen's Country Cottage. Miz Helen is a southern gal living in Texas and shares her simple way of life. Her style of cooking is different than mine and full of southern influences, things that I'm not familiar with like black eyed peas and hush puppies, just to name a few.

So needless to say, I had a hard time deciding on a recipe. I've been craving something sweet lately and gave into those cravings with Cranberry Oat Cake. I made the bars as Miz Helen calls them in 2 round 9 inch pans since I have yet to replace my 9x13 baking pan that had seen better days. It was a great way to be able share this dessert with my coworkers (and help keep the pregnancy weight gain down -LOL!).

I made a few minor changes to the recipe and cut down the topping by half. This cake is so good and I love the crunchy topping that adds to the moist cake.

Exciting news - this recipe is featured on Recipe Lion!







Cake/Bar
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup toasted coconut

Topping
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the hot water and oats. Set aside to soak and cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream the eggs and sugars together until mixed well. Add the applesauce and the soaked oats, mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and stir well. Add the vanilla and stir in the cranberries, walnuts and toasted coconut.

Pour into 2 - 9 inch round cake pans. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

With 5 minutes left in baking, start the topping. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the brown sugar, nuts and coconut and bring to a boil. Cover both cakes with the topping and return the cake to the oven under the broiler for 1 minute. Be careful and watch the cake to make sure the topping does not burn.

Let cool completely before serving.

Want to be part of The Secret Recipe Club?
Secret Recipe Club



17 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love cranberries and the topping looks SO good!

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Looks like a super delicious recipe. Great SRC choice. I am new to group B , nice to meet you. Hope you will visit my blog too.

Vivian Thiele said...

Sounds downright homey to me! What a great change of pace from the typical cake.

Unknown said...

The cranberries must make that dish - giving it that extra zing/tang.

Allison said...

Can't go wrong with cranberries and oats.

Lisa~~ said...

I adore cranberries and oats together, great SRC entry.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

German Mama said...

Looks great. I love the combination of oats, cranberries and nuts.

Hezzi-D said...

This sounds like the perfect breakfast cake! I love things like this in the morning.

Sarah said...

this would be a great idea for the baking I do for my church. have bookmarked this recipe

Miz Helen said...

Hi Heather,
I am so excited that you liked the recipe. I have never thought of putting it in cake pans, great idea. Thanks for a great post! It is fun cooking with you in the SRC.
Miz Helen
SRC #7

Jeanette said...

Such an interesting recipe, soaking the oats first. That's what's so fun about SRC, you find such a variety of recipes and learn something each time.

Betsy said...

This looks pretty healthy (minus the butter) I love a cranberry dessert. Its so "winter" I'm visiting from SRC and I'd love if you'd also check out my other site seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month so if you have any orange recipes, please link up! We'd love to have you!

Trisha said...

This sounds very inviting! Love the cranberries in it!

Unknown said...

This looks fantastic. I may have to make these like now. Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne said...

Just the kind of dish that we love at our house! Love your SRC choice!

Angie - Big Bears Wife said...

Great choice to The Secret Recipe Club!

Unknown said...

yumm, this sounds delish!
i will def be trying this.

http://just-jillian.blogspot.com