Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes

I think I've mentioned this before but we're big fans of having breakfast for dinner. I guess this comes from both my husband and I working and we usually just eat cereal or oatmeal at work...and I just can't bring myself to cook eggs in the microwave.

These pancakes are amazing. They're on the more savory side but with just a little bit of maple syrup, you get the sweetness usually associated with pancakes. Madeline gobbled them up - she ate SIX for dinner along with some bacon and a bowl of fruit. Needless to say, I'll be making them more often. I can't wait until we have some fresh blueberries and add them to the batter.


3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 cup cornmeal
1 whole lemon zested
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the buttermilk and oil and mix until well combined. In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients including the lemon zest.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix only until just combined.

On a hot skillet, melt butter and cook pancakes about 30 seconds on each side. Be careful as they will brown quickly!

Source: EatLiveRun

No comments: