Thursday, November 1, 2012

Spinach Artichoke and Chicken Casserole

I love spinach artichoke dip and this casserole totally reminded me of that! It's comfort food all the way! I was surprised my daughter gobbled it up. She usually turns her nose up at artichokes but I cut them into bite sized pieces that I don't think she even realized they were in there.

When you make this, get everything ready the day before - it needs to set overnight in the refrigerator. I didn't read this step first before making it and had to put it off a day so I could let it sit. I ended up making in in the morning and let it sit for 6 hours during the day before I baked it. It came out fine!

Make sure you stop by tomorrow. I have a special announcement about an online bake sale where you can have a chance to bid on a dozen of my delicious double chocolate biscotti!



8 oz bow tie pasta
1 Tbsp butter
salt & pepper
1 small onion, chopped
1 chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup skim milk
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
14 oz can quartered artichokes, drained and roughly chopped
10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and wrung out with a dish towel
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp butter, melted

Cook pasta according to the package instructions. Drain pasta and set aside. Spray a 9x13 glass dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and chicken, season with salt and pepper. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the onions are translucent. Remove from the heat.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oregano and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Stir in the cheese, artichokes and frozen spinach. Combine the wet mixture with the pasta and chicken. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover the pan with foil and place in the refrigerator overnight or at least 4 hours.

When you're ready to bake the casserole, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the wrapped dish into the oven for 20 minutes. While the casserole is baking, combine the bread crumbs, paprika and melted butter in a small bowl.

After 20 minutes of baking, remove the foil from the dish and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the casserole. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and toasty.

Source: Iowa Girl Eats

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this looks great! I think I may be able to sneak some of those ingredients by my husband, yes, he's as bad as a kid...lol! ;) Thanks for sharing, I have it bookmarked.