Friday, December 7, 2012

Cranberry Orange Sauce

I love candied cranberry sauce. You know the jellied kind, which is really weird since I don't like jello. Growing up this is the kind of cranberry sauce that we ate at Thanksgiving. My dad and I were the only ones that would eat it. I miss sharing that tradition with my dad.
 
Last year, my mom made fresh cranberry sauce with pineapple and I really enjoyed it. Though I still enjoy the jellied type too. LOL. This year, she made this version and I had to make an extra batch after Thanksgiving so we could enjoy it with our leftovers. I need to make it more often as we all loved it and it was great to spread on bread and would be amazing to mix into oatmeal. 
 

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 tablespoon orange zest

Rinse cranberries with cold water and check to make sure there are no stems on the berries.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in water and orange juice. Bring this mixture to a boil and add the cranberries and orange zest. Return to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.

Cook for about ten minutes or until the cranberries start to burst. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Pour the sauce into a serving dish and place in the refrigerator to chill.

No comments: