Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Baked Turkey Meatballs and Spinach

Notice a change? I decided it was time for a new layout and some new colors.  Let me know what you think. I'm going to be working on a recipe index over the next couple of weeks and that will make things easier to find. Now if I only started it years ago, instead of waiting until I have over 400 posts. EEK...lesson learned!

I made these meatballs the other night. Ross and I both loved them, but my now picky daughter didn't. I don't know what happened to the girl who asked for salad for lunch when she was two and never gave me issues before with food....has now turned up her nose at almost everything I've made in the last week. What gives?!?! She's been helping me with dinner and I was hoping that would get her interested again in eating food, but no luck. Any suggestions?

The meatballs were really moist and I loved the spinach in them. We ate them plain but they would be great in a meatball sandwich with some tomato sauce and melted mozzarella on top or topping a big plate of spaghetti. I halved the recipe since I only had one pound of ground turkey, but next time I make them, I'll use the full recipe (which is shown below). They're quick and easy to make and since I always have these ingredients in my pantry, I know this will be a good go-to-meal.



2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
16 oz frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained and squeezed to remove excess water)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
2 1/2 lbs lean ground turkey
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 large eggs

Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes. Saute the mixture until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the drained spinach to the pan and mix together with the cooked onions. Add the Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock. Cook until most of the liquid has evaporated - I barely had any liquid in my pan. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, bread crumbs, eggs and cooled spinach/onion mixture. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Make meatballs with your hands that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet leaving a little room between each one.

Bake the meatballs until they are cooked through about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately. For leftovers, you can freeze them after they have completely cooled.

Source: Home Cooking Memories


2 comments:

ReviewsSheRote said...

Stopping by from Staying Close To Home---I think these look D-Lish Make for some yummy meatball bombers!!

annies home said...

interesting may be a great way to get kids to eat healthy
come visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com