Friday, May 3, 2013

Peanut Butter Granola

Oh hi, how's it going? Can you tell we've been busy with the silence around here? It was a crazy weekend and so far this week has been the same...and continuing this way for awhile. Ross and I went out for my birthday on Saturday night at Seasons 52. It was amazing! I had the most delicious salad, spinach, toasted pine nuts, raspberries, gorgonzola tossed with a vinaigrette.

After that dinner, things started going downhill. I got horrible blisters on the bottom of my feet from wedges that I haven't worn since last summer...I guess the price to pay for looking good. Cooper was running a fever that didn't break until Tuesday and after a night of little sleep on Sunday, I took him to the doctor on Monday. We both were exhausted and learned he had a bad ear infection in his right ear and he's getting teeth on top of it. No wonder my little guy was miserable. He's feeling much better and his one tooth is just about to break through. I haven't been cooking or baking because of all this but I did get a chance to make a batch of granola.

This granola is good and I love the peanut butter flavor and that it's a granola that clumps. I think next time I'll bake it a little longer, it's not as crunchy as I like, but it still tastes good. I know Madeline is going to love it with the some chocolate chips thrown in and topped with yogurt.


4 cups old fashioned oats
6 Tbsp ground flax meal
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flax and salt and set aside. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt together the peanut butter, honey and brown sugar. Once melted, remove from the heat and add in the vanilla extract.

Pour the peanut butter mixture and egg whites over the oat mixtures. Stir to combine and coat all the oats with the peanut butter and egg whites. Spread on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 15 minutes and then stir. Bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown. If you like your granola a little browner, bake it for 5 minutes and check.

Source: Liv Life

No comments: