Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chicken with Artichokes in White Wine Sauce

Our dinner options haven't been very broad and new lately. I've been stuck in a little bit of a rut and haven't been experimenting in the kitchen. I'm working on getting back on track this week so I should have new recipes more frequently...plus I have a couple of recipe exchanges coming up this week and that's forcing me to think outside of the box. 

The rest of the year is going to fly by and my calendar is already filling up. The holidays are coming....I can't wait to spend the holidays in our new home. I need to start thinking about decorating because this house is completely different than our old house. But that's going to be the fun part...along with a bunch of new recipes I've been saving! 

We all loved this recipe even Madeline! I made something different for Cooper because I'm not sure he would have liked it. I know the mushrooms would have been fine but probably not the artichokes. Next time I make it, I'll serve it with a rice pilaf instead of spaghetti. 


1/2 cup flour
1 tsp herbs de provence (or combination of dried basil, oregano and parsley)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
14 oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped in half
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup chicken broth

In a shallow dish, combine the flour, dried herbs, salt and pepper with a fork until mixed together. Remove 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture. 

In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Using tongs dredge the chicken breast in the flour mixture. Shake off an excess flour. Add the chicken to the pan and cook until golden brown and completely cooked through, about 8-10 minutes. Turn halfway through cooking. Once cooked, remove from the pan and place the chicken on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. 

To the warm skillet, add the butter. Once it's melted, add in the mushrooms and artichokes. Cook until most of the liquid has been released from the mushrooms and they're tender. 

In a liquid measuring cup, combine the wine and chicken broth. Add in the reserved tablespoon of flour and whisk until smooth. Add the mixture to the skillet and cook until it has slightly thickened and is warm. Return the cooked chicken to the pan to warm and cover with sauce. Serve the chicken with the sauce and vegetables spooned over it. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired. 


No comments: