Thursday, May 8, 2014

Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies #FilltheCookieJar

It's time for May's Fill the Cookie Jar! If you're not familiar with Fill the Cookie Jar, it's a group of bloggers that are given a theme to make cookies about and then we all share them. It's a lot of fun and I'm glad I participate monthly!

This month's theme was Mother's Day. Since I've already made a few of my mom's favorite cookies (as well as mine), I decided to make a cookie with a few of my favorite things. I apologize for the lack of posts last week, I was doing a detox and was only eating mainly vegetables and few fruits...nothing fancy or exciting. But I did lose almost 6 pounds, so it was worth it and definitely something that I would continue doing occasionally.

So back to cookies, these are the perfect bite of a few of my favorite things - oatmeal, dark chocolate and coconut! YUM!! They were chewy and best when they were still slightly warm. To make it even better, the batch was donated to my daughter's school for their staff appreciation luncheon. I hope all the teachers and support staff loved them as much as me. I know I'll be making them again!


1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup shredded coconut
7 ozs bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. 

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and continue beating until well combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture until just combined. 

Fold in the oats, coconut and chocolate chunks in by hand. Scoop the batter into rounded tablespoons and place on the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. 

Source: The Greyston Bakery Cookbook 


No comments: