Monday, September 29, 2014

Baked Apple Pie Donuts

It's Fall!!! My favorite time of the year - crisp air, sweaters, boots, pumpkin, apples, snuggling - there's just so much I love. I can't wait to go apple picking (lots of recipes I want to make) and take the kids to the pumpkin patch. The leaves are starting to change color and it's just been perfect weather.

We've had a busy couple of weeks and since we haven't had a chance to go apple picking, I picked up a half dozen of apples at our local orchard's farm stand. I was in the mood to bake something the other night since it was a rainy, gray day...I find days like that are really when I want to spend time in the kitchen. I've been craving donuts lately, so baked apple pie donuts are what I decided on. 

They were super easy to make. I had Madeline take care of mixing everything while I peeled and diced an apple. The original recipe called for them to be dipped in cinnamon-sugar but I decided on drizzling apple cider glaze over them. My glaze was a little thin, but it gave them a little more apple flavor. I'm planning to try them again and swapping out the AP flour for whole wheat flour and apple cider for the milk and adding cinnamon to the dry mixture.


1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup diced apple
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine both sugars, flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry knife. In a small bowl, mix the egg and milk together. Pour into the dry mixture and add in the diced apple. Stir until mixture becomes a dough.

Place 2 spoonfuls of dough into each of the donut molds in the pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the donuts are golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to completely cool.

Once cooled, stir together apple cider and powdered sugar to make a glaze. Drizzle over the cooled donuts and enjoy!

Source: Mom Advice

No comments: