Monday, December 6, 2010

Chocolate Glaciers

Today is my work's cookie exchange. I decided to try out a new recipe. I know I was risking it, but I am confident in my baking skills and this was an easy recipe. I think they turned out great, but we'll see what the other bakers think. There are only 5 of us participating in the exchange, so I'll be posting the other cookie recipes too. I have a bunch of new cookie recipes I want to try out...I'm sure my coworkers are going to be hanging around my office for the rest of the month!

These cookies remind me of a brownie, they're super moist and cakey. I would love to try them with Hershey's dark chocolate cocoa...next time!

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt together until well blended. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with a mixer. Beat in one egg at time and then the vanilla. With the mixer on low, slowing incorporate the flour mixture. The dough should be very sticky! Chill dough for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line several cookie sheets with parchment paper. Sift confectioners' sugar onto a large plate. Put about 8 heaping teaspoons of dough onto plate. Roll each clump in sugar to lightly coat, then shape into a ball. Re-roll the balls into the sugar until they are heavily coated. Repeat with the remaining dough.

Place balls 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time for 11-12 minutes or until tops are cracked and cookies are just set around edges but soft in the middle. Cool on the baking sheet.

Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

Recipe from Redbook Magazine

1 comment:

Dog Boarding Los Angeles said...

I tried these and they turned out great!! Mags @ Pet Sitter