Thursday, December 23, 2010

Gooey Enchiladas

I was in the mood for mexican the other night and didn't want tacos, despite my husband's attempt to have them every week. We're a roll my eyes emotion when I need one! I figured enchiladas were the next best thing and quick and easy to make with the zillion of things I had to get ready for Christmas. And oh...I'm still not done!

This recipe calls for a can of black beans mixed into the ground beef to help cut down the calories and I'm sure it would have been great that way - except I mistaked the can of black olives in my pantry for a can of black beans...WHOOPS! So needless to say, I just doubled the amount of ground beef to make up for my mistake. They still tasted great and I love the homemade sauce rather than canned versions! This is definitely a keeper and I'll be making it with beans the next time.

2 tsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbsp garlic, chopped
14 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I omitted this)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 corn tortillas
1 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet; add onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Do not allow garlic to brown. Add the tomatoes, coriander, cumin, oregano and pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Stir in cilantro. The sauce will be chunky.

Meanwhile, cook the ground beef. Drain fat and then stir in the can of beans. Warm the tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes to soften them and make them easier to roll.

Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce into a rectangular backing dish. Divide the beef mixture and 3/4 cup cheese between the 8 tortillas. Fold over tortilla sides and place seam side down in the baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce on top and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes.

Sprinkle on remaining cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

 Recipe slightly adapted from March 2010 issue of Parents Magazine

No comments: