Thursday, December 23, 2010

Red Beet Hummus

I signed up to bring a dip into daycare for my daughter's Christmas Party today. I hate sending in premade dips and other goodies, so I decided to finally make this red beet hummus recipe I have had in my recipe box for over a year. It's very easy and the hummus is a gorgeous color. I was a little concerned about the texture but after refrigerating it overnight, it was much better. Hopefully all the kids like it!


1 red beet, cleaned and tops removed
1 garlic clove
15 oz can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 juice from a lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt

Wrap a beet and an unpeeled garlic clove loosely in foil. Roast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until the beet is tender. Remove the skin from the beet and garlic.

In a food processor, puree all the ingredients together until well combined and smooth.

Makes about 2 cups.

Recipe from September 2009 issue of Parents Magazine

No comments: