Thursday, January 13, 2011

Banana Crunch Cupcakes

I haven't bake in awhile and got the baking itch last night. I wanted to make something fairly healthy since we're trying to eliminate all the junk and exercise more. I searched through a new cookbook that my sister-in-law gave me for Christmas and found a recipe for banana crunch cupcakes. I looked over the recipe and had most of the ingredients and knew I could subsitute a few things. Maddie and I made them last night and they are pretty tasty - not too healthy, but they remind me more of a muffin...and no frosting!

I did learn one thing last night, flax meal is a subsitute for oil. Hmmm..interesting. It's a 3:1 ratio, so I'm sure these cupcakes could be made with vegetable oil if you do not have flax meal. I would use 1/3 cup if you're trying it. I liked the flax meal, it adds a nice nutty flavor.


1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt (I used fat free greek yogurt)
3 large eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup flax meal
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or other nut)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons melted butter and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter and honey. Add in the yogurt, eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla and combine well. In a separate bowl, stir together the oat flour, flax meal, baking soda and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until combined. Fold in the nuts.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and sprinkle each with the brown sugar mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to completely cool.

Recipe adapted from: The Rodale Whole Foods Cookbook

No comments: