Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

Ice cream!!! I didn't waste anytime breaking in my new ice cream maker! I bought the Cuisinart ICE-21 model. Just a quick wash, dry and into the freezer the bowl went.  Butter pecan ice cream is my husband's favorite and since I had some fresh pecans, I knew this was the first recipe I'd attempt. It was so easy, Madeline even helped me until she was bored with just watching the ice cream go round and round. It's delicous, so smooth and creamy. Of course I had to add extra pecans in it. :)

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup pecans
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract

In a medium skillet, melt the butter. Add the pecans and 1 tsp of salt. Cook over medium-low heat until pecans are toasted and golden, stirring frequently. It takes approximately 6-8 minutes until they are completed toasted. Remove from heat and place pecans on a paper towel lined plate to soak up the excess butter. Allow them to completely cool and then chop into small pieces (about the size of chocolate chips).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar and pinch of salt until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or overnight.

Once you're ready to make the ice cream, remove the bowl from the freezer. Place the mixing paddle in the bowl and put the lid on. Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl. Mix until the mixture is thick, about 15 to 20 minutes. Five minutes before the mixing is complete, add the chopped pecans and mix to incorporate the pecans evenly.

At this point, the ice cream will be a soft, creamy consistency. If you like harder ice cream, place it in an airtight container and place it into the freezer to firm up.

Source: Cuisinart Recipe Booklet


1 comment:

Kristen said...

This looks like a delicious first attempt! My dad loves butter pecan ice cream. What a treat!