Monday, May 16, 2011

Maple Pecan Scones

I love scones...really I do. They are so addicting and these are no exception! I love the buttery, flaky dough and the little bits of pecans and then it's drizzled with a maple glaze. Good thing you can't see me, since I'm enjoying one of these delicious scones right now. I'm sure there's crumbs on my keyboard.


3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled
1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 egg
3/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pantry knife, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Finely chop the pecans and stir into the flour mixture. Mix the egg & cream together and stir into the flour mixture until just combined. Turn the mixture onto a cutting board and push it together into a large ball.Do not knead or press together too much. The dough will be crumbly.

Gently roll the dough into a 10-inch circle and cut the round into eighths. First start with X and cut each section in half to make 8 wedges.

Transfer the wedges to a baking sheet that has been covered in parchment paper or lightly sprayed and bake for 22 to 26 minutes, or until golden brown. Place the pan on a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the glaze, mix together 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons of maple sugar in a medium bowl. If the mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon of water at time to the desired consistency. The original recipe calls for a maple icing, but maple extract is not in my pantry and I'd prefer to use real maple syrup. Once you have the desired consistency, drizzle over top of the scones. Allow to harden before eating.

Source: Scones - Pioneer Woman, Glaze - Recipe girl

2 comments:

Delishhh said...

Very nice! Maple scones how can you go wrong. I get these at Starbucks all the time - i think it is time to make myself :)

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking said...

I love the flavors you combined in these scones - they look so hearty, warm and perfect for breakfast! Wonderful recipe. Nice job on it and thanks for sharing. You have a great blog and I'm so glad to have found it! :) I'll be coming back soon.