Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Broccoli-Quinoa Casserole

My friend Shannon shared this recipe with my online mom's board. I've talked about my mom's board before but I just need to reiterate how important they are in my life. I've been friends with these girls for a little over 4 years. I know how can you be friends with people you've never met and only talk on the Internet. It's much more than that. I've meet close to 50 of the girls through traveling for work and get-togethers. We're behind each other through any time of situation you can imagine - births, deaths, marriage, divorce and everything in between. It's beyond amazing to have such a great support system! I love my OOF girls!

So back to food, the real reason you're here. I've cooked with quinoa before and it's growing on me more and more. It's such a great, nutritious grain and a way for me to get protein into my daughter. I love the nutty flavor it has when it's cooked.


10 oz can low-sodium condensed cream of mushroom or broccoli soup
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese (I use monterey jack)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
dash of grated nutmeg
2 cups cooked broccoli
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
panko bread crumbs
parmesan cheese

Rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve until the water runs clear. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until the quinoa is fluffy (or the white ring is visible). Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a shallow baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. I used 4 medium sized ramekins.

In a large bowl, combine the soup, mayo, milk, cheese, sugar, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well mixed. Stir in the quinoa and cooked broccoli.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish(es). Sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese on top of quinoa. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or 20 to 25 minutes for ramekins or until the edges are bubbly and golden. Let cool slightly before eating, otherwise you'll burn you tongue...trust me.

Slightly adapted from: Eating Well, Living Thin

Secret Recipe Club
Recipe made by: The Jey of Cooking

1 comment:

Allison said...

I love quinoa but have never made it in a bake. Yum! How lucky you are to have such an amazing online group.