Monday, October 17, 2011

The Secret Recipe Club - Nutella Gelato

It’s that time again…The Secret Recipe Club!!! This is my fifth month participating and I’m really enjoying it. Each month, I’m challenged to narrow it down to one recipe and this month’s blog was challenging. This is the second time I’ve been assigned a blog that focused on vegan eating. I think someone’s trying to tell me something! Trust me, we eat vegetables, I just don’t blog about it that often since I usually just steam some fresh veggies and I’m sure you all know about steaming veggies.
 
Here’s my previous SRC recipes:

So back to the SRC – this month’s assignment was from Baking & Biking. Sarah is the foodie behind this blog. We have lots of things in common – both of us are “at-home” cooks who learned to cook by growing up in the kitchen with our moms and then experimenting on our own while in college. Sarah has lots of great smoothie recipes but since my blender is on the fritz, I had to skip trying one of them. Instead I opted for her recipe for Nutella Gelato Shake. I figured you can’t go wrong with Nutella and gelato – plus I hadn’t make ice cream in over a month and it was due time I make a batch. Sarah added butterscotch chips and toffee bits to her gelato, but I opted for semi-sweet chocolate chips. The gelato is so creamy and rich – perfect for when you’re craving a sweet treat!



2 cups heavy cream
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup Nutella
Pinch of salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1/2 cup of the sugar over medium heat. Cook until the sugar dissolves.

In a medium bowl, add the egg yolks and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat the mixture until the eggs have been thick and pale yellow in color. It takes about 4-5 minutes.

Pour 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the whipped egg yolks. Stir and then add this mixture to the saucepan. Cook over very low heat; stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.


Stir in the vanilla, Nutella and salt until it is completely dissolved. Transfer the mixture to bowl with a spout. Chill the mixture completely before pouring it into your ice cream maker. Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker to freeze the mixture. Add the chocolate chips (or other add-ins) about 10 minutes before the gelato is done. Freeze until the mixture firms up.


Want to be part of The Secret Recipe Club? Join here!




14 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I love making ice cream but I've never attempted gelato! This recipe looks perfect though! Can't wait to give it a try.

The Double Dipped Life said...

Anything with Nutella has to be fantastic! I've never made gelato before- this is going on top of my "to make" list !

BigFatBaker said...

Nutella gelato? Yes please! I definitely need to make this ASAP. Thanks for sharing!

Patsyk said...

I haven't made ice cream in a bit either... and have been wanting to make a gelato for fun... you had me at nutella! yum!

Miz Helen said...

What a lovely dessert, your Gelato looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and it is fun cooking with you in the SRC!
Miz Helen
Southwest Corn and Potato Soup

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I don't know - is there a better match made in heaven that nutella and gelato? Help!!

Great SRC pick! Hope you'll stop by and see my reveal.

:)
ButterYum

Angie A said...

nutella = love. :)

Sarah said...

So glad you found something yummy on my blog. I think this sounds great with the semi sweet chips. Lovely pics, happy baking!

Jamie said...

I love your blog and I'm so glad I stumbled on it because of SRC!

I am in Group C so be sure to check out my blog when it's our turn!
www.cookinwithmoxie.com

Trisha said...

That gelato looks yummy ... i love that u used dark chocolate chips in it!

Kristen said...

You just cannot go wrong with Nutella! What a great treat for a hot day.

Lisa~~ said...

Okay this is just sinful as I love gelato and Nutella.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

My twins LOVE Nutella! :-)

Thanks for being a part of the SRC, Group B, I love being your host (new assignments coming soon)! My recipe was for Frozen Breakfast Burritos. Check it out if you haven't had the chance already, I know I am a few days behind (sorry!)

http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/10/frozen-breakfast-burritos-secret-recipe.html

Desi said...

I bet this is delish! I'm a sucker for anything nutella :) Nice to be cooking in SRC with you!