Monday, October 10, 2011

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Frosting

Here's my next attempt at baking with beer! My coworker was having an Oktoberfest party and I knew the entire party would focus around beer and drinking. I have learned so much about beer by going out to lunch with a group of them on Fridays. It has definitely opened my eyes into the world of craft beers!

Back to the cupcakes...my town hosted their annual Oktoberfest event in September and we walked over to check out the event. While I didn't visit the beer garden, we wandered around looking at all the vendors selling crafts and food. I live in an area full of German history and the event doesn't disappoint. There was lots of food and great performances from the Auerhahn Schuhplatter Dancers. While I was there, I ate a chocolate-stoudt cupcake. It was ok, but the cake was really dry and I knew I could make something better. LOL...isn't that always how it starts?

Sorry the picture isn't the best quality, but you get the idea. I suggest not drinking while trying to take pictures...whoops! The cupcakes were so moist and they went over well at the party.

Cupcakes
1 cup Guinness
1 stick, plus 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, chopped into 1 inch pieces
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups dark brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper lines.

Combine the beer and the butter in a large sauce pan. Heat to melt the butter. Once it's melted, remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Set aside to cool.

In a bowl, combine the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla. Once combined, add to the beer mixture. Sift the flour and baking soda together and fold into the batter. Divide the batter among the prepared pans (I made 2 dozen cupcakes). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan. Cool completely on a rack.

Frosting
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted to remove clumps
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3 - 4 Tbsp Bailey's Irish cream

In the bowl of stand mixer, whip the butter. Once light and fluffy, slowly add in the powdered sugar. When the frosting is thick enough to spread, drizzle in the Bailey's and whip until combined. Frost the cupcakes and get ready to enjoy them!

Cupcake recipe from: Big City, Little Kitchen

Frosting recipe from: Smitten Kitchen

Secret Recipe Club
Recipe made by: This is How We Eat

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love beer bread, so why not beer cupcakes? I'll give it a shot :)