Monday, October 3, 2011

Harvest Pumpkin Ale Bread

Now that it's October and feeling like fall here, I'm ready to start making breads, chili and anything with pumpkin. Fall is my most favorite time of the year! I love the crispness in the air, the leaves changing colors and wearing warm, cozy sweaters.

My first fall creation is a harvest pumpkin ale bread. I've done a little baking with bread before but after trying a chocolate guinness cupcake at our town's Oktoberfest last month, I knew I could make a cupcake way better that. Don't worry, I'll be blogging about the cupcakes later this week, but back to the bread. I came home one evening to a cold 6 pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer in my fridge. PERFECT!

I made this recipe twice, tweaking as I went and the second time it was just right. My coworkers were definitely happy this week trying both varieties. The first one was too moist, but a few changes and it worked out great.


Pumpkin Puree
15 oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie)
2/3 cup sugar
1 bottle beer
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Slowly stir to combine all the ingredients. Divide puree into two containers. You'll use one now and the other should be refrigerated in an air-tight container to make a second loaf.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2 eggs
1/2 (approx. 2 cups) pumpkin puree
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.

In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and oil. Slowly add in the eggs, one at a time. Once combined, stop the mixer and add the reserved pumpkin puree. Turn the mixer to medium-low and run for 5 minutes to fully combine the wet ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix slowly on low until well combined.

Pour the mixture in the prepared pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and completely cool in the pan.

Adapted: Samuel Adams Brewing The American Dream

Recipe swapped on: The Grocery Cart Challenge

No comments: