Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cranberry Upside Down Cake

I love all things cranberry! It's probably one of my favorite things to bake with. I just love the tartness and bite of fresh cranberries. I've made two of these cakes in the last week and I see many more in my future. It's simple and oh, so delicious. The first one I took to work and the second one is staying home. I'm not sharing this one anymore!

This cake would also make a great addition to any Thanksgiving dinner. I'm so excited for Thanksgiving this year. We celebrate with my family for a late lunch and then my husband's family for dinner. It's a lot of food, but what's more important is spending time with everything. Some of the highlights of this year's feast is my mom's potato filling and I'm baking my first pumpkin pie! EEKK! So exciting!


1 1/4  cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2  tsp baking powder
1/4  tsp salt
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 3/4 cup fresh cranberries
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2  cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cake pan with 2 tablespoons of the unsalted butter (it will be a really thick layer of butter). In a small bowl, stir together1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Arrange the cranberries in a single layer on top of the sugar mixture.

Using an electric mixer, cream together the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, until well combined.

Spoon the batter over the cranberries in the pan, and smooth the top. Bake until a thin knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake; invert onto a rimmed platter. Store any leftovers at room temperature.

Source: Brown-Eyed Baker



1 comment:

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I love cranberries too - this looks delish! Thanks for linking up to Friday Food Frenzy.