Monday, December 5, 2011

Baked Spinach Dip Mini Bread Bowls...and a BIG SURPRISE!

I'll start out with my big surprise....


Drumroll please................................................................................................................................




My husband and I expecting baby #2! We're all super excited especially our daughter. She's ready to be the big sister. I'm a little over 12 weeks and ready to be past this first trimester. This pregnancy hasn't been so kind to me. I've been dealing with all day nausea (notice the lack of new recipes) and metal mouth. I'm slowing feeling better and trying to get back into the kitchen, even though my husband says he's taking over the meal planning and cooking duties. Since he left cooking in a local restaurant almost 5 years ago, he hasn't done much cooking in our house...I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

And now onto the food....



I saved this recipe since the first time I saw it on Picky Palate. I love spinach dip and then add it to bread bowls....YUM! It made the perfect amount for appetizers for Thanksgiving at my mom's house. My daughter loved them and I had to stop her from eating a second and save room for lunch! Next time I made them, I'm going to add in some chopped artichoke hearts and bake them in mini phyllo cups for a bite-sized treat.

13.3 oz roll of refrigerated french bread
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup light sour cream
dash of chili pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 10 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray, set aside. Unroll the package of french bread. Slice it into 10 equal sizes about 1 inch thick. Press each slice into a 3 inch round piece of bread. Press into the bottom and up the sides of the muffin cup.

In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Cook and stir the spinach until wilted and then add the garlic. Cook for another minute and remove from the heat. Let cool 5 minutes.

In  medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, cooked spinach mixture and spices. Mix well until combined. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop the dip into the center of the bread bowls. Top evenly with the mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing them the muffin tin. Serve warm.

Source: Picky Palate

1 comment:

Beth said...

Congratulations to you! Hope you're feeling better soon....