Monday, January 23, 2012

White-Chocolate Cherry Shortbread Cookies

Since I'm way behind in posting new recipes (see me blushing?), I figured I'd get a little jump start and post a cookie recipe that would be great for Valentine's Day. Who doesn't love pink cookies with white chocolate drizzled on top? These cookies are delicious and the perfect cookie for someone who doesn't like super sweet things. They're so buttery and flaky...mmm, I'm drooling just thinking about them.

My sweet cravings have kicked back in and now I'm trying to figure out how to eat the smallest bit of sweet treats and curb the cravings. This is a big week for us, we find out whether we're having a girl or boy! My daughter is very adament about the baby being a girl and if it's not, then she's not going to like her brother. Oh dear!


1/2 cup maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar (plus more for dipping a glass into)
1 cup cold butter
4 oz white chocolate, chopped (plus more for drizzling)
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 drops red food coloring

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the drained cherries and the chopped white chocolate. Stir in almond extract and food coloring. Knead mixture until it forms a smooth ball.

Shape the dough into 3/4 inch balls. Place the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cooking sheet. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, flatten the balls to 1 1/2 inch rounds.

Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet and then transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.

In a small sauce pan, melt white chocolate in a double boiler. Either dip half the cookies into the chocolate or drizzle white chocolate overe the tops. Place cookies on parchment paper to allow white chocolate to harden and set.

Makes approximately 45-50 cookies.

Source: Better Homes and Garden

1 comment:

Mary Bergfeld said...

These sound wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog. I decided to take some extra time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary