Monday, March 12, 2012

The Secret Recipe Club: Corn Dog Muffins

I can't believe I've been participating in the Secret Recipe Club for 9 months! Wow...time is flying by!

This month I was assigned the blog, ButterYum. Patricia has some amazing recipes and I had a hard time narrowing down what I wanted to make. Ironically before I was assigned her blog for this month's assignment, I made her Roasted Cauliflower and onions recipe. It was delicious and when I read the assignment email, I knew I couldn't go wrong with any recipe I selected. I originally wanted to make the To Die for Banana Cake, but never had overripe bananas. I know I'm always finding myself with overripe bananas but the one time I wanted them, I didn't have any!

Onto the recipe that I did selected....healthier corn muffins. I've never made corn muffins before, I'm not really sure why, but now that I know how easy and tasty they are...I'll be making them often. My daughter loves corn dogs, so I thought why not incorporate the two together and be able to give her something different and unique for lunch! She loves them and they were perfect for lunch and it impressed her teachers.


1/4 cup water
1/2 cup natural applesauce
1 egg
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
hot dogs, cut into thirds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the water, applesauce, egg and melted butter. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full. Press a hot piece into the center.

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.

Want to be part of The Secret Recipe Club?
Secret Recipe Club






19 comments:

Heather said...

oh my! My little ones might just fall in love with these.. Will have to try them. Take a look at my new favorite treat that I found for this month's SRC - http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2012/03/one-ingredient-banana-ice-cream.html

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've made these and they were wonderful! I love your pictures!

Our Eating Habits said...

I love that you added hot dogs, what a great idea!

Karen said...

This is such a cute idea. My grandkids will love them.

Unknown said...

what a great alternative to deep-fried corn dogs, and they're portable as well.

Jenny @ Savour the Senses said...

No you didn't. I know everyone is saying these are a great idea for kids, but I want them for MYSELF! Add some ketchup and good-to-go. Great being a part of SRC with you. Would love you to stop by and check out my Mango Avocado Salsa from my assigned blogger, Jeanette's Healthy Living. =)

Unknown said...

I've seen corn dog muffins on Pinterest and have been wanting to make them. Sounds like a great corn muffin, especially with the applesauce.

Angie A said...

Mmm I have made something similar before and my husband and I both loved them. Great choice for the SRC post!

Erin @ WholesomeRD said...

How fun and clever!

Lisa~~ said...

My husband would adore these and I love the apple sauce in the recipe.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Broiled Sushi.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Danielle said...

Holy cow! My husband would love these! He loves corndogs (:

SallyBR said...

These would be sooooo cute for a kid's Bday party - or anyone's Bday, actually, who doesn't love a corn dog? ;-)

(too bad you were an orphan this month, I am sending you a hug from group D... may next month be a great reveal day for your blog!)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Heather,
Your post for SRC looks great, I just love Corn Dog's and this is a healthier recipe. Your Taco Soup in the previous post also looks awesome. I am so sorry that you were an Orphan with SRC this month. Hope the rest of the week gets better!
Miz Helen

Suzanne said...

What a fabulous idea! My 2 and 4 yr old grand kids will LOVE this! As will their mom and Aunt Jeni. Heck, we all love corn dogs in our family. These are going to have a place on my next family menu for sure! Great SRC pick!

Betsy said...

This is so cute! I know adults and kids alike who would love these. Great SRC pick! I hope you'll stop by Seasonalpotluck.com this month. Its artichoke month, and I'd love if you'd link up your artichoke recipes! http://bit.ly/zRfNjo

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook said...

One of my favorite foods in all the world is corn dogs, but trying to figure out how to dip and fry them at home is a challenge. I LOVE this much simpler method!! Thanks for sharing this great SRC choice!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Heather - I love that you added hotdogs - Great idea! My teens would devour them! So glad you liked the roasted cauliflower too :).

I hope you have a great week!

:)
ButterYum

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

PS - do try the banana cake when you get a chance. I tell you, it has a cult following! Crazy good stuff.

:)

Lisa said...

What cute little muffins. I bet kids would go crazy for these.