Monday, March 26, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting

My daughter’s 5th birthday (OMG…how did she get to be 5 already!!?!?!?) was last week and we threw her a friend birthday party at the gym where she has gymnastics lessons. She invited 8 friends from school and had a great time. Her one request about cupcakes were they needed to be pink and that she wanted 5 candles instead of the number 5 candle. Seriously, such requests at age 5?!?! I think my hands are going to be full with this one!  

Since strawberries are in season from Florida and California, I knew that would be the perfect combination. I am slowing eliminating dyes from her food and when I asked for recommendations on recipes for strawberry cupcakes, my friend Alicia quickly sent me to Oprah’s website and told me about the Strawberry cupcake and frosting recipes from Sprinkles.
The recipe is fairly easy and uses all fresh ingredients, which I love. I made a test batch the week before her party and I loved how dense and moist the cake was and the frosting was the perfect amount of sweetness. The one thing I hate about frostings is when they are too sugary and you can’t enjoy the cupcakes! All the kids enjoyed them and I brought the leftovers into work where they were quickly devoured.


Cupcakes
2/3 cup fresh strawberries
1 ½ cup flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp coarse salt
¼ cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg whites, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.

Using a small food processor, puree the strawberries. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree for the cucpakes. More will be needed for the frosting.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla and strawberry puree.

Using a stand mixer, cream the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until the butter and sugar are well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer to medium and slowly add the egg and egg whites just until the mixture is blended.

Turn the mixer on low and slowly add half of the dry ingredients just until blended. Add the strawberry mixture and mix; add the remaining half of the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the muffin tops are just try. Place the tin on a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool in the tin before icing.

Frosting

½ cup frozen strawberries, thawed
1 cup unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
Pinch of coarse salt
3 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted to remove clumps
½ tsp vanilla extract

Puree the strawberries in a small food processor (or use the leftovers from the cupcakes) and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar. Beat until the butter and sugar are well combined. Add the vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the strawberry puree. Combine to beat until just blended. The frosting will be thick and creamy. Take care not to over mix or the frosting will incorporate too much air.

Makes 1 dozen cupacakes. I had leftover frosting but used it for my next batch of cupcakes (just hide it in the fridge so you don’t want to eat it with a spoon!)

Source: Oprah.com

1 comment:

Soupy said...

YUM! These look amazing!

Hey! I'm Carrie- I was the "giveaway" girl on Katie's Blog- if you are curious about the Basic H organic cleaner, why don't you contact me....
CarrieCampbell@gmail.com

and I'll share some info with you!

Thanks!