Thursday, April 12, 2012

Devilish Eggs

I don't think I've ever made deviled eggs before but I  have eaten my share of them at parties. I like very simple and plain deviled eggs with just a dash of paprika. When I saw this recipe in USA Weekend a couple weeks ago originally from Ellie Krieger, I was definitely intrigued to try something different and new. They have a "secret ingredient" that I kept hidden from my family to see if they would notice is something was different...nope, they were fooled! Plus they're healthier than regular deviled eggs - lower saturated fat and cholesterol, while adding heart-healthy soy protein.

1 dozen hard boiled eggs
2/3 cup silken tofu, drained
1 Tbsp lowfat mayo
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp hot pepper (more to taste)
salt and fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp paprika

Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and discard half of them. Set aside the whites.

Place the 6 yolks in a medium bowl and mash with the tofu, mayo and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the yolk mixture into the corner of plastic bag and snip off the end. Pipe the yolk mixture into the egg whites. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

Slightly adapted: USA Weekend magazine

No comments: