Friday, September 7, 2012

Spiced Peach Muffins


Peach season is coming to an end but that means a whole new season of fruit is here – apples! We’re just waiting for the weather to cool down before we go apple picking but make sure you come back on Monday for my reveal for this month’s Secret Recipe Club…it’s a delicious recipe that features apples!
My friend Jill passed this recipe along to me after her family went peach picking. I was in the baking mood and had a bunch of peaches to use up and this was the perfect recipe for them. It was also my first inkling of fall baking…mmm, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. I changed the recipe slightly from the original one to try to make it a little healthier especially since I’m still working on losing baby weight and they were delicious. I have a feeling I’ll be making muffins more often since they’ll be a great snack for Madeline to take to kindergarten.



2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
¾ cup canola oil
1 ¼ cup skim milk
4 peaches, diced (keep skin on)

Granulated sugar/cinnamon and rolled oats for topping

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking powder, sugar and spices. Stir in the eggs, oil and milk. Gently fold in the milk until the batter is well combined.

Fill the cups with batter. They should be very full. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar and oats. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until muffins are cooked through.

Adapted from:The Family Kitchen
 

No comments: