Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Apple Chips

When we went apple picking, I knew I wanted to make apple chips. While it can be a long process to dry apples, it's really not hard and the results of homemade apple chips are like no other. I used my peeler/corer/slicer and quickly went through 6 apples and got them ready for drying. My daughter loved them and she usually avoids them when I buy premade granola when we're at our local farmer's market. I know I'll be making more apple chips in the future!



Apples, thinly sliced - you can leave the skin on or off but the apple slices should be 1/4 inch or thinner
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon sugar and set aside. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Slice apples thinly and lay on the prepared baking sheets. Make sure the apples are laying flat and not overlapping one another. Sprinkly lightly with the cinnamon-sugar mix. Place in the preheated oven. After 1 hour, flip the apple slices over. Continue baking until the moisture is baked out of the apple slices and they feel crunchy. They will continue to bake and dry when they're removed from the oven. The total time for drying my apple slices was 2 1/2 hours - it really all just depends on how much moisture are in the apples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have apple trees and though I've made my share of apple pies or cobbler, I never thought of apple chips. Thanks for the great idea!