Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Secret Recipe Club: Pumpkin Pie Granola

This month I had the opportunity to write about another blog for The Secret Recipe club. In addition to Mostly Food and Crafts, I picked up an orphaned blog, That’s Some Good Cookin’.  I didn’t even know where to start to narrow down a choice…there’s so many recipes I want to try!

I wanted to get this post up as soon as possible so I had to look and see what I had in my pantry and I settled on Terri’s recipe for Pumpkin Pie Granola. I was actually looking for a new granola recipe over the last couple of weeks and this one did not disappoint. I omitted the shredded coconut in Terri’s recipe but kept everything else the same.  It was the perfect addition to a bowl of vanilla bean Greek yogurt.  I’ll need to hide the container from my daughter – she’ll eat the entire thing if I don’t!

Make sure to stop by Terri’s site and give her some love.  I know I’ll be making her Cinnamon Roll cake sometime this holiday season! She also has a pumpkin version too!



5 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin puree

1/3 cup honey

1/4 cup canola oil

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats and pecans.  In a small bowl, add the remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the oats and mix until all the oats are well coated. Pour the granola onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread the granola in the pan.

Bake for 15 minutes. With a wide spatula, mix the granola. Bake for another 15 minutes and then stir the granola. Bake for 15 minutes more. At this point, check the dryness of the granola. If it’s dry, remove from oven and let cool. If the granola still feels moist, bake for another 10 minutes.
Allow the granola to completely cool before adding in any dried fruit or chocolate chips.

10 comments:

Camilla M. Mann said...

This looks like the PERFECT fall breakfast with a little bit of yogurt and honey. Delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is the third time visiting now and I personally just wanted
to say I truley get pleasure from reading through your weblog.
I have decided to bookmark it at digg.com with the title:
Blogger: Join us, pull up a chair and your URL: http://www.

blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4672938024177652318&postID=620193246533852378.
I hope this is fine with you, I'm trying to give your excellent blog a bit more coverage. Be back soon.
Feel free to visit my web page : newsvine.com

shelley c. said...

I am making this. Like, tomorrow. I have been wanting to try a new granola recipe and this looks like the PERFECT one. YUM. What a great choice.

Heather said...

Looks good. I have some pumpkin puree still sitting in my fridge I need to use up, and this is a somewhat healthier recipe to use it for!

Unknown said...

how sweet of you to pick up an orphan. This granola looks delicious and easy.

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) said...

What a great idea. I'll be making this one soon.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a wonderful breakfast!

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

Thank you so much for your post. Being the orphaned blog this time around came as a bit of a sad statement during a very trying time in my personal life. So, double thank you for being gracious enough to take on the extra work of getting an unexpected blog post together. I know how much work goes in to putting a post together.

You picked one of my favorite recipes. This granola is especially fun to much on when I am coming home late from work (I keep some in a zipper bag in the car). The spicy flavors sooth the soul and the crunchiness relieves tension. And for breakfast? What a great way to start the day.

Unknown said...

Oh Terri you're welcome! I will tell you that I've be eating handfuls of the granola everytime I go into the kitchen. This has been a trying week for us too...hugs to you!

Carole said...

Heather, thanks for popping over and adding this to the collection. Cheers