Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Honey Sandwich Cookies

I have yet to buy Girl Scout cookies this year...I'm not sure they're for sale in our area yet. I'm sure we'll eventually pick up a box (or five) but until then, I'm going to make a few different varieties of cookies and try different flavor combinations. These were really light and I loved the honeyed cream cheese filling. My husband wants me to make them again eliminating the honey and increasing the lemon zest. I think I'll take him up on his suggestion and see how they turn out. I rolled the dough a little too big, but one cookie is the perfect size for a sweet treat. My next time, I'll be rolling them smaller so they're more bite-sized.



3 Tbsp sugar
1 roll (16.5 oz) roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
8 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Place the 3 tablespoons of sugar into a small bowl. Roll the sugar cookie dough into 3/4 inch balls. Roll the dough balls into the sugar to coat. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, 1 inch apart.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or just until the centers are set. Let cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.

In a medium bowl, cream the cream cheese, honey and lemon zest with a handheld mixer until light and fluffy. Spread the cream cheese filling generously on the bottom of a cookie. Top with another cookie and continue until all the filling and cookies have been used.

Store the cookies in the refrigerator until ready to be served.

Slightly adapted from: The Ultimate Shortcut Cookie Book

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love that these are made with sugar cookie dough that is already made, makes for quick desserts.. Thanks for linking this up to Close to Home's V-day craft and recipe round up.