Monday, February 11, 2013

The Secret Recipe Club: Creamy Coleslaw

It's time for The Secret Recipe Club! For this month's assignment, I was assigned The Bad Girl's Kitchen. Min created her site as a place to come and share favorite recipes with friends and family. Sounds one of the reasons why I started my blog as well!

Pouring over the hundreds of recipes, I settled on a simple recipe for coleslaw. I've been trying for years to find a recipe similar to my grandmother's and this one was pretty close....not 100% but close. Both my daughter and I really enjoyed it, my husband likes his more on the vinegary side, but since he's not cooking, I'm making it the way I like it. :)

I served the coleslaw with french dip sandwiches and it was perfect. This recipe can easily be doubled (or tripled) for larger amounts and it would be great to bring to your first summer cookout! Yes I'm thinking about summer as we just dealt with a major snowstorm over the weekend...luckily for me, I'm in warm Tempe, AZ right now for a conference.


1/2 cup lowfat mayo
2 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
14 oz bag of coleslaw mix

Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour the coleslaw mix into a large bowl and coat with the dressing. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for dressing to start to break down the cabbage and the flavors to blend. I like it best after it's been sitting for 24 hours.

 Want to be part of the Secret Recipe Club? Join here!

13 comments:

AmandaE said...

Hope you are enjoying the warm weather! Feel free to bring back to the East Coast with you :-) Lovely SRC pick, love coleslaw and all the summer fun that (normally) comes with it!

Min said...

So glad you enjoyed the coleslaw; I love mine on pulled pork sandwiches!
Have fun in AZ!
Min
The Bad Girl's Kitchen

Kathy Walker said...

Like you have been on a quest for the perfect coleslaw...which to me is one that is like my mom's....this one looks great. Great SRC choice.

seattleDee said...

Mmmmm, I love coleslaw as a standalone side, but it's even better topping a messy sandwich, wrap or slider.

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes said...

Oh that looks so good. There is nothing like a good creamy coleslaw!

Hope you're enjoying your conference :)

shelley c. said...

That looks like a delicious, creamy cole slaw, and I bet it went delicious with the french dip sandwiches. YUM!

Julie said...

Fun to think coleslaw which makes me think summer. Looks delicious.

Kirstin said...

YUMMY! I Love coleslaw!!! Great choice. Makes me want summer to come! I'm a fellow SRC member, group D

Lynne Daley said...

My coleslaw recipe is very similar to yours I love the tangy vinegar/sugar flavors-perfect for any savory meat sandwich. I remember the cranberry chutney I made from your blog-it was amazing!

Jennifer Sikora said...

I love coleslaw and this recipe sounds like one I would love to use to top my bbq pork sammys! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Looks good! It's never too early to think about summer :)

Miz Helen said...

Hi Heather,
We love Coleslaw and this looks like a great recipe.
Happy Valentine Day!
Miz Helen
SRC Group B

Jennifer said...

I deleted my last comment because somehow I think it came as a reply to someone elses comment? I'm not sure if it'll do it again. It looks like it. But what I said was that I love coleslaw! This is so easy!