Friday, May 31, 2013

Quinoa-Mushroom Burgers

I've been seeing quinoa burgers all over Pinterest and some of my friends have mentioned they made them so when I came across this recipe in a new cookbook, I thought I'd give it a shot. I usually have extra quinoa just waiting to be used for something, but this time I made a batch just for this recipe. They were different, but in a good way. The addition of mushroom definitely helped make them taste meatier and I liked the combination of avocado and tomato. Ross wasn't sold on them and Madeline tried it but ended up eating peanut butter bread instead.

I want to try another recipe, so if you have a great one, let me know!


2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled
1 cup finely chopped cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup finely minced onion
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
fresh ground pepper
salt
1 tsp olive oil
tomato slices
avocado

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil, tomato and avocado. Form the mixture into patties. I ended up with 8 medium-sized patties. Place on a plate and chill in the refrigerate for 20 minutes.

When ready to cook, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties on each side for 4 to 5 minutes or until crispy brown. Take caution when flipping them over, 2 of my broke apart.

Serve with tomato slices and avocado.

Source: Pretty Delicious Cookbook by Candice Kumai

No comments: